Introduced 1953/4 and withdrawn in 1969, the Hofner Committe bass was Hofner's 'top of the range' model (excepting the rare Hofner Golden). Beginning life as an acoustic, an electric model was introduced in 1957 followed by a thinline electric model in 1959. The large 'frondose' headstock characterises the model, though this was changed to a standard Hofner headstock in 1963. The 'Lyre' tailpiece was used until 1963 and it was then fitted with the 'Escutcheon' type. Solid or laminated carved spruce tops were used, with quality birds eye maple for the back and sides.
This Hofner Committee Bass Guitar is in very good cosmetic condition and excellent functional condition, and sounds great. It has a serial number in the mid 200s, indicating that it was built in 1963.